Purpose of this Blog:

When I first started this blog, I thought I'd just bring up things I found that I thought were interesting; I've decided on a different theme. The purpose of this blog is to have random, interesting posts from subjects across the board. Enjoy - I'll try to keep the blog thought-provoking and stimulating for anyone/everyone who stumbles onto it!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Isaac Asimov's world is here!

Checking out fark.com, I stumbled upon an interesting article involving our future...

Apparently, soon enough we'll all be living in giant glass pyramids. The quick summary of the article is describing a fantastic 'Ziggurat' that is 2.3 kilometers and can house one million people. In this futuristic building, no cars are allowed - everyone is transported by monorails that move horizontally and vertically. Security is biometric - to enter your home you will go through a painless facial recognition program. The big thing with this is it's supposed to be entirely environmentally friendly. It will use steam power from the building itself and wind turbines... Sounds pretty crazy to me, but hey, it'd be cool if it works.

From Blogger Pictures


I'm sure a few (or many) others thought of this, but this seems to be rather eerily close to Asimov's Caves of Steel... Of course, if no cars are allowed, that's one difference, but otherwise, it seems like a pretty accurate depiction. If we start building these, will Asimov's future coincide with ours? In a century or so, will we all be agoraphobic, like Bailey in Asimov's series?

If it does happen in a century (or a couple), then I called it first!

No comments: